What to do with that empty seat? Options districts have to fill vacancies and rules they must follow

September 20, 2012 , California Special District Magazine

At some point, most special district boards will face the task of filling a vacant seat. For districts with appointed boards, vacancies are typically filled by the “appointing authority,” which is often the county board of supervisors. (Gov. Code § 1779.)

Districts with elected boards generally have several options for filling vacancies, including appointing an individual to fill the vacancy, calling an election, or allowing the city council or county board of supervisors to make an appointment. (Gov. Code § 1780.) Not surprisingly, many boards choose to appoint a new member rather than incur the expense of an election or cede control to the city or county.

Click here to read this article in its entirety.