Ruthann G. Ziegler
Ruthann Ziegler is a founding Principal of the firm’s Sacramento office and has over 30 years of experience in public law, representing municipalities and special districts.
In addition to her leadership role in the firm, Ruthann maintains an active legal practice. She represents clients in all matters affecting local governance and decision-making, from day-to-day operations to long-term policy issues. She regularly advises clients on issues such as rate setting, public contracts and bidding, land use, the Subdivision Map Act and environmental issues.
Currently, Ruthann serves as city attorney and general counsel for several cities and special districts in Northern California. She has served as City Attorney of Citrus Heights since its incorporation in 1997 and has worked with several municipal incorporation committees. Her other clients have included public utility districts, power agencies, community services districts, fire districts, water districts and joint powers agencies.
Ruthann is frequently invited to speak before attorneys, associations of special districts, municipal law organizations and others. Topics on which she speaks often include the Brown Act, AB 1234, the California Public Records Act and land use issues.
Ruthann was named to Martindale-Hubbell's Register of Top Rated Lawyers: Women Leaders in the Law, in 2013. The Daily Journal named Ruthann as one of the “Top 25 Corporate and Transactional Women Lawyers” in California for 2011. Also in 2011, the League of California Cities selected Ruthann among a number of applicants to serve on the City Attorney’s Department new Ad Hoc Medical Marijuana Committee to inform public agency representatives in this new area of law. And finally, Ruthann was selected by the Daily Journal as one of the “Top 25 Municipal Lawyers in California” for 2011.
- Placer County Local Agency Formation Commission v. Nevada County Local Agency Formation Commission, et al., 135 Cal.App.4th 793, 37 Cal.Rptr.3d 729 (2006)
- County of San Bernardino v. City of San Bernardino et al., 15 Cal.4th 909, 64 Cal.Rptr.2d 814 (1997)
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell's Register of Top Rated Lawyers: Women Leaders in the Law, 2013
- Daily Journal, "Top 25 Municipal Lawyers in California," 2011
- Daily Journal, "Top 25 Corporate and Transactional Women Lawyers in California," 2011
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, "What You Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings," LawReview CLE webinar, 2013
- Moderator, "Navigating Requests for Records Under the California Public Records Act," C.A.S.H. Annual Conference, 2013
- Co-Author, “Developing Trends in Medical Marijuana Regulations,” The Public Law Journal, Summer, 2013
- Speaker, "Electronic Communications and Open Meeting Laws," IMLA Annual Conference, 2013
- Speaker, Medical Marijuana Work Session - IMLA Annual Conference, 2013
- Moderator, "What you Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings," Lorman Education Services Seminar, 2011 and 2012
- Speaker, "Impact of RDA Dissolutions on Special Districts," CSDA webinar, 2012
- Speaker, “Untangling the Web of Fair Political Practices (FPPC) Regulations,” Northern California City Clerks Association (NCCCA), 2012
- Ruthann gives several presentations and training seminars each year on various topics. Groups to which she has presented include the League of California Cities, California Special Districts Association, California Association of Sanitation Agencies, California Mining Association and California Joint Powers Association, Lorman, NBI, and clients. Topics include the following:
- Brown Act (Open Meeting Law)
- California Public Records Act
- Conflicts of interest
- AB 1234 training
- Land use issues
- CEQA compliance
- Fees, assessments and Proposition 218
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, Ad Hoc Medical Marijuana Committee, City Attorney’s Department, League of California Cities
- Past President, Women Lawyers of Sacramento
- Past Chair, Environmental Law Section, Sacramento County Bar Association
- AV rated attorney, as recognized by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Past Editorial Board Chair, past Editor, and past Chapter Author, California Municipal Law Handbook, League of California Cities
- University of California at Davis, King Hall School of Law, JD
- Yale University, BA