Linda Ross brings a wealth of experience to the Labor and Employment group after working for 20 years with the City and County of San Francisco. She gained a vast knowledge in labor and employment law, and public law in general, while serving as Chief Labor Attorney, General Counsel to the Mayor’s Office, and General Counsel for the Police Commission and Police Department. She joined Meyers Nave in 2012 and chairs the firm’s Pension Reform Litigation practice.
As Chief Labor Attorney, Linda was in charge of a 20-person legal team, representing City departments, boards and commissions in employment and labor law issues. Linda represented the City before state and federal courts, mediators and arbitrators, in matters involving City employees as well as in contract negotiations with City employee unions. She advised on collective bargaining and MOU obligations, civil service rules, claims of discrimination and retaliation, leaves of absence, and pension and health benefits, among other issues. She successfully defended the City and County before the California Supreme Court in San Francisco Firefighters Local 798 v. City and County of San Francisco (2006) 38 Cal. 4th 653 in connection with non-discriminatory testing procedures upheld by the Court..
As General Counsel to the Mayor’s Office, Linda advised and coordinated with City department heads on local governance and policy issues including ethics, public meetings laws, public records act, and public contracting, just to name a few. She has drafted City Charter measures, ordinances, and policies regarding employee and retiree benefits, public contracting policies, and public safety, among others.
As General Counsel to the Police Department and Police Commission, Linda advised the Department and Commission on police personnel issues and public safety initiatives. Working with the Police Officers Union and the District Attorney’s Office, she drafted the Department’s Brady policy. She has drafted ballot measures and ordinances on public safety matters.
- San Francisco Firefighters Local 798 v. City and County of San Francisco (2006) 38 Cal. 4th 653
- Local 21 of the International Federation, et al. v. City and County of San Francisco (1999) 76 Cal. App. 4th 213
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, “Navigating Changes to Public Employee Medical Benefits,” Meyers Nave webinar, 2015
- Presenter, “Mock Arbitration Part One: Preparation, Opening Statement, and Direct Examination,” National Public Employer Labor Relations Association (NPELRA) Annual Training Conference, 2015
- Author, Searching for Vested Rights, Case by Case,” Daily Journal, May, 2014
- Speaker, “Vested Rights: What We Can and Cannot Change,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association (CalPELRA) Annual Conference, 2012
- Speaker, “Social Media and the Workplace: Recruitment, Background Checks and Personal Use,” International Public Management Association, 2012
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, The State Bar of New York
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, JD, 1982
- University of California at Berkeley, BA, Political Economy, 1979