Katherine A. Cook
Katherine (Kate) Cook brings considerable experience to the Municipal and Special District Law, and California Public Records Act Practice Groups. She serves as City Attorney for the City of Plymouth, and counsels public entity and school district clients on issues related to the Public Records Act, the Brown Act, and election law. In addition, Kate has experience in a wide range of employment law issues, including drafting successful responses to charges and complaints filed against public entities with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH).
Before joining Meyers Nave, Kate worked as an Associate in a small California law firm, specializing in Education Law. She advised clients on certificated employee matters, including teacher suspensions, dismissals, and layoffs. Kate also has considerable experience in responding to exhaustive Public Records Act requests on behalf of public entities, including school districts. She continues to advise public entity and school district clients at Meyers Nave on numerous matters.
A graduate of the McGeorge School of Law, Kate received her Juris Doctorate with distinction in 2010. While there, Kate served as the Articles Editor and a Comment Staff Writer for the Pacific McGeorge Global Business & Development Law Journal. She also worked as an intern in the legal departments of the California Department of Parks and Recreation and the State Lands Commission. Kate has also completed 40 hours of certificated mediator training.
Prior to law school, Kate worked as a staff writer at the Daily Camera, a major-market newspaper in Boulder, Colorado. She covered city and county governments, public school districts, and the University of Colorado. She won Colorado Press Association awards for writing in the categories of education reporting and investigative reporting.
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Northern California Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2016
- Witkin Award for Academic Excellence in Employment Discrimination
- Roger J. Traynor Honor Society
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, “Staying in Compliance: Understanding Fundamental Laws,” California Special Districts Association (CSDA) Workshop, 2016
- Presenter, “Understanding Special District Laws,” California Special Districts Association (CSDA), 2016
- Presenter, "Ethics AB 1234 Compliance Training," California Special Districts Association (CSDA) Webinar, 2016
- Presenter, "The Brown Act and Public Records Act," City Clerks Association of California (CCAC), 2015
- Presenter, "Staying in Compliance: Understanding Fundamental Special District Laws," California Special Districts Association CSDA), 2015
- Speaker, “Brown Act, Conflict of Interest and Public Records Act in California,” Lorman Seminar, 2014
- Presenter, “Ethics AB 1234 Compliance Training,” California Special Districts Association (CSDA) Webinar, 2013
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Volunteer, McGeorge School of Law Public Legal Services Society
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, JD, with distinction, 2010
- University of California at San Diego, BA, Literature and Writing, 1998