Katherine A. Cook
Katherine Cook brings considerable experience to the Municipal and Special District Law Group. She serves as City Attorney for the City of Plymouth, and counsels public entity and school district clients on issues related to the Public Records Act, the Brown Act, and election law. In addition, Katherine has experience in a wide range of employment law issues, including drafting successful responses to charges and complaints filed against public entities with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH).
Before joining Meyers Nave, Katherine worked as an Associate in a small California law firm, specializing in Education Law. She advised clients on certificated employee matters, including teacher suspensions, dismissals, and layoffs. Katherine also has considerable experience in responding to exhaustive Public Records Act requests on behalf of public entities, including school districts. She continues to advise public entity and school district clients at Meyers Nave on numerous matters.
A graduate of the McGeorge School of Law, Katherine received her Juris Doctorate with distinction in 2010. While there, Katherine served as the Articles Editor and a Comment Staff Writer for the Pacific McGeorge Global Business & Development Law Journal. She also worked as an intern in the legal departments of the California Department of Parks and Recreation and the State Lands Commission. Katherine has also completed 40 hours of certificated mediator training.
Prior to law school, Katherine worked as a staff writer at the Daily Camera, a major-market newspaper in Boulder, Colorado. She covered city and county governments, public school districts, and the University of Colorado. She won Colorado Press Association awards for writing in the categories of education reporting and investigative reporting.
Honors and Awards
- Witkin Award for Academic Excellence in Employment Discrimination
- Roger J. Traynor Honor Society
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, “Brown Act, Conflict of Interest and Public Records Act in California,” Lorman Seminar, 2014
- Presenter, “Ethics AB 1234 Compliance Training,” CSDA Webinar, 2013
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Volunteer, McGeorge School of Law Public Legal Services Society
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, JD, with distinction, 2010
- University of California at San Diego, BA, Literature and Writing, 1998