David S. Warner
David Warner represents public and private clients on all matters governing public agency law specializing in land use, public contracts, labor and employment, and public finance matters. He serves as city attorney to the cities of Healdsburg and Fort Bragg, general counsel to the Sweetwater Springs Water District, special counsel to the Riverside-Corona Resource Conservation District, and outside counsel to private clients on a broad range of development projects.
David possesses a comprehensive background in local government operations focusing on telecommunications leases and land use matters, revenue and taxation, pension systems, elections, ethics, and public contracts. He also regularly negotiates municipal service agreements, franchise agreements and joint powers agreements for a variety of municipal affairs. In addition, as a member of the firm’s First Amendment practice group, David regularly advises municipal clients on public space permitting and use, business zoning and licensing, and signage regulation.
Due to his knowledge of various areas of public law, David has authored articles on such topics as vested rights, land use issues, panhandling, and the Occupy Movement. David served as Adjunct Professor at the University of San Francisco where he taught administrative law and also previously served as General Counsel to the Redevelopment Association of Nevada.
After graduating from UCLA School of Law, David worked for Arthur Andersen and KPMG, advising corporations, partnerships and high-wealth individuals on tax compliance and planning. He also spent three years at the National Archives and Records Administration where he administered the private donation and deeds of gift program for Office of Presidential Libraries.
David lives in Santa Rosa with his wife and six children.
Recent Representative Matters (2012-13)
- Telecommunications Site Construction and Lease Option Agreements for Water District and Public Utility District.
- Land use entitlements for three-story, multi-tenant 102,000 square foot medical office building.
- Development approvals for a 36-unit townhome subdivision.
- Operating agreement for a municipal pool and athletic center.
- Financing and development approvals for a recycled water irrigation system.
- Establishment and implementation of a commercial assessment district.
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, “AB 1234 Ethics Training,” CSDA Special District Leadership Academy Conference, 2013
- Speaker, “AB 1234 Ethics Training,” CSDA Annual Conference, 2013
- Speaker, “First Amendment Issues - First Amendment vs. Public Safety,” IMLA Annual Conference, 2013
- Moderator, “Local Government Panel,” 2013 Special Districts Legislative Days, California Special Districts Association, 2013
- Speaker, “The Joys of Proposition 218,” Northern California City Clerks Association, 2013
- Speaker, “Squatters…A Local or Statewide Problem?,” California Association of Realtors® Winter Business Meetings, 2013
- Co-Author, “The ‘Occupy’ Movement and What Cities Can Do to Regulate or Avoid the Impacts of Such Events,” 2012
- Speaker, “The ‘Occupy’ Movement: What can Cities Do?” LOCC Annual Conference, 2012
- Panelist, "Doing the Right Stuff: Case Study of a Successful Ballot Measure," CSDA Annual Conference, 2012
- Speaker, "Ethics AB 1234 Compliance Training," CSDA Annual Conference, 2012
- Author, “Preparing for the Next Protest,” Sonoma County Bar Association, The Bar Journal, Volume 29, Issue 1, Spring, 2012
- Speaker, “Legal Updates Q & A,” CSDA General Manager Leadership Summit, 2012
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, The State Bar of Nevada
- Member, The State Bar of Illinois
- Board Member, California Special Districts Association (CSDA), Education Committee
- Board Member, California Special Districts Association (CSDA), Membership Committee
- League of California Cities
- Board of Directors, Historical Society of Santa Rosa
- Board of Directors, Austin Creek Parents Association
- University of California at Los Angeles, School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Northwestern University, BA, Economics, 1988