Claudia J. Gorham
Claudia Gorham has developed a practice focused on litigation and general counsel and advice for public agencies in a variety of matters. With over 20 years of experience, Claudia has successfully tried both jury and bench trials and several appeals. A skilled litigator, Claudia joined the firm in 2006 after representing both private parties and public entities in tort, contract, construction, employment and civil rights matters.
Complementing her litigation practice, Claudia also represents agencies in complex real estate and land use negotiations and transactions providing pre-litigation counseling. As counsel for such transactions, she has negotiated and drafted a number of agreements and documents, from leases and acquisition contracts to development agreements. She has also handled the negotiation and resolution of legal issues associated with public works projects, contaminated properties, coastal zones, transportation, and planning.
Claudia has represented the Bay Area Rapid Transit District, Bodega Bay Public Utility District, Redevelopment Agency of the City of Oakland, City of Dublin, City of Petaluma, City of Pittsburg, City of Modesto, Novato Sanitary District, Santa Clara Valley Water District, County of Alameda, Alameda County Flood Control District and Napa Valley Flood Control District. She has appeared before numerous county boards and other legislative bodies in both open and closed sessions.
Claudia litigates in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies. She is admitted to practice in all of the courts in the State of California, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. Claudia provides training and speaks on a variety of topics relating to real estate acquisitions, eminent domain, and related issues.
Presentations and Publications
- Panelist, “Sub-surface Easements,” Appraisal Institute, May 2013
- Speaker, “Precondemnation and Transparency in the Electronic Information Age,” International Right of Way Association, 2011
- Speaker, “Working with Your Relocation Expert,” CLE International Eminent Domain Institute’s 10th Annual Eminent Domain Conference, 2008
- Speaker, “The Future of Eminent Domain in California: Propositions 98 and 99’s Impact on Eminent Domain and Regulatory Takings,” 2008
- Speaker, “Trial Tactics,” Continuing Legal Education International, 2007
- Speaker, “Williamson Act Contracts and Changes to Eminent Domain Law,” Lorman Education Service, 2007
- Co-Author of Article/Presentation: “Temporary Takings and Perplexing Valuation Issues,” 2006
- Author, California Special Districts Association Article: “Proposition 90 Seeks to Amend California Constitution and Restrict the Use of Eminent Domain by Public Entities But Reaches Far Beyond,” 2006
- Note Editor, Communications and Entertainment Law Journal
- Feature Writer, Hastings Law News
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, American Bar Association
- Past Member and Board Member, Earl Warren American Inn of Court (2000 – 2007)
- Member, Alameda County Bar Association
- Member, International Right of Way Association (Chapters 2 & 27)
- Past Member, California Redevelopment Association
- Past Board Member and “Judge,” McCullum Youth Court
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, JD, 1989
- University of Missouri at Columbia, BA, Radio-Television-Film, cum laude , 1984