Anya J. Freedman
Anya Freedman represents public agency clients in labor and employment matters, with a particular emphasis on complex litigation, writs, and appeals.
Anya’s recent matters include defending a charter city in writ of mandate and appellate proceedings involving post-employment benefits; defending a regional transportation authority in litigation involving wrongful termination claims; representing a local sanitary district in coordinated proceedings involving constitutional challenges to a recent statewide pension reform law; and advising a charter county regarding its statutory and constitutional authority to contract with a private entity for specific services.
Before joining Meyers Nave, Anya was an appellate and litigation associate at an international law firm, where she represented corporate and pro bono clients in California state superior and federal district courts, and in the United States Courts of Appeals for the Federal, Fourth, and Ninth Circuits. Anya also contributed to briefs filed in the United States Supreme Court.
During the 2010-2011 term, Anya served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Johnnie B. Rawlinson, of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
While in law school, Anya externed for the Honorable Vaughn R. Walker of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, interned with the San Francisco City Attorney’s Office, worked as a research assistant at the Center for State and Local Government Law, and served as Senior Articles Editor for the Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly.
Anya is admitted to practice in the United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Fourth Circuit and Federal Circuit; and the United States District Courts for the Central and Eastern Districts of California.
Presentations and Publications
- Co-Presenter, "Labor & Employment Legal Update," Meyers Nave Seminar, 2014
- Author, “The Guarantee Clause in the States: Structural Protections for Minority Rights and Necessary Limits on the Initiative Power,” Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly, 2010
- Co-Author, “Litigation: Claiming Disability Benefits Based on Cognitive Impairment? Show Me Your Brain,” Inside Counsel, 2011
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Amicus Briefs Committee
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Appellate Courts Section
- Member, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, JD, magna cum laude, 2010
- University of California at San Diego, BA, magna cum laude, Political Science, 2006